I've finished this capelet for quite a while now, just couldn't find time to sew on the buttons and post it here. Again, this is one of the projects from Joey's knit/crochet-along for the month of January. I realized my last few projects have all been crochet. And no, I have not been converted to all crocheting. In fact, I have three other projects on my knitting needles now that I'm dying to finish. But there's always a sense of urgency associated with an "along" project that I felt I had to make this a priority and push the others to the back burner for a while. Anyway. I was saying, this is my favorite out of the four projects to choose from. Thus even though there were already tons of people making this capelet, I decided to jump in as well.
I did not encounter any major issues in the process of making this capelet. The only part I had to redo is the front edging. I had initially finished it with the same 3.5 mm crochet hook, which resulted in a very wavy edge (see photo below). I ripped it and went down one size smaller on the crochet hook, and the result looked much better.
I did have a little problem with the yarn though. As you can see in the photo below, there were one or two plies splitting from the yarn strand. They didn't break, I guess somehow they just became loose. I managed to continue crocheting, tried to hide them in the pattern stitches the best I could. I didn't have to break the yarn and rejoin to continue, but it was just annoying. And it happened way too often that it got on my nerves.