This FO was finished one month ago. This is also one of the projects from Joey's Knit/Crochet-Alongs for the month of March. Since I have already bought the pattern book, I decided not to join the group this time. So that I can work on it at a more relaxed pace. This one actually took a bit longer than necessary. I ran out of yarn twice. I had to make two special trips to Yarndogs to pick up more yarn. I kind of had a feeling that it wasn't going to be enough when I first picked up the yarn, since I was not sure at all how many to get. After I started, I calculated based on my progress at the time and the target length, I thought one more ball should be enough. So I made a trip back to buy one more ball. Well, I tried it on after all was done according to the original pattern, it was too short and I didn't have enough yarn to make it the length I want. Thus a second trip back to the store to pick up just one more ball of yarn. And actually I have only used about 1/5 of the last ball, still have quite a bit left.
I feel like every time I crochet, I could never accurately estimate the amount of yarn and the length of the garment. I always make a swatch and calculate the target size based on my gauge. But my problem is that I tend to tighten the yarn as I crochet, so my stitches actually get shorter as I go. The original pattern has 8 repeats of the stitch pattern for the skirt. Based on my swatch gauge, I should get the same size as the pattern. But when I actually finished the whole thing, mine was just short. I decided to add two more repeats. I also changed the skirt edging from two chain stitches to three chain stitches to make the scallops more visible.