I have been so busy since last week that I could not find time to blog about this vest. It was already taken off the blocking board and put away. I even took the FO photos but didn't have time to upload them. My older son Connor had a fever and couldn't go to school for 3 days. I stayed with him all day, most of the time just playing and watching TV. Even though I didn't do much, but any moms would know, kids are especially clingy when they are not feeling well. I could not really get away to sit in front of a computer. But I did manage to sneak in a few rounds of Rusted Root every now and then. And so my progress on Rusted Root has been really good. It is now drying on the blocking board!
This bolero vest was not in my queue. My sister mentioned that she wanted to make something for our cousin in Taipei, to thank her for all the troubles she went through to buy some stuffs for us and then ship to the US. Since she has been really busy and also has another project in her queue for her best friend, I volunteered to make this gift for our cousin since many of the stuff bought are for me too!
Picking a color was easy, she loves purple. But deciding on a style took us some thinking. Since we can't see her and not sure about her exact size, we decided to only consider open-front type of vests, shrugs, or boleros. It must not be too fancy or flirty (my aunt's family is very conservative), not too cute (she is not a teenager any more), not too old-lady like (she is still young), something that goes well with a button-down shirt (it's all she wears to work), and also good for weekend casual wear with a tee and jeans... I flipped through all my books, and came across this bolero vest. Margaret also made one and it looks quite nice, it also meets all of our considerations... therefore, this is it!
This bolero vest was not difficult to make, I just had to really concentrate when I made the fronts. The pattern is schematics with stitches in detail illustrations. I had to keep looking at the chart, and count the stitches. After I was done, I felt the side seams, especially the part closest to underarm, were a bit crooked. I double checked the chart to make sure I did not make a mistake, and anything was done according to the chart. And the edging short stitches along the armholes were too tight. I thought about ripping out these parts and redo them, but decided to block it first and hoped for the best. Good thing all these are no longer quite visible after the blocking. But the vest also grew another 1 1/2" longer after blocking, since I really pulled it hard to make sure the crooked seams got straightened and the lace scallop edging opened up.
If I could start over, I would pay special attention to the starting rows of the front pieces to make sure the side seam is straight. I would pick up more stitches for the armhole edging. It really should be based on my tension, I shouldn't have strictly followed what the pattern suggests. As long as the total number of stitches is an even number it would be okay. I still have some other gift items to prepare, once they are set, this bolero vest will be flying overseas to its owner!