I had wanted to make this shrug for at least more than a year now. I bought the yarn from way back and just somehow forgot about it. Until recently when I was going through my stash, I rediscovered this project. I felt a bit guilty about it. I have been buying a lot of new pattern books and new yarn, while I have tons of projects waiting to be casted on in my stash. I made a promise that when and if I start a project with new yarn, I must also finish one of the older projects from my stash. I used to keep track of my projects in an Excel spreadsheet, but it got so big and cumbersome that I just gave up. I thought, I'll just knit whatever comes to mind. But this, could also be dangerous, I may never finish knitting my stash.
The design of this shrug/scarf is very unique, but knitting it could be quite boring. The never-ending repeats of k3 and p3. I was just about running out of patience when I finished both sleeves. Good thing I got other projects on the needles to keep me going. Whenever I felt like I've had enough with this thing, I just switched to another project and then came back to this shrug later. But when I finished the Upside-Down Sweater and was waiting for it to dry on the blocking board (which took 4 days!) I had nothing else to play with except this, I had to try to stay focused to finish it.
This shrug is very simple to knit. Even though it was simple, I did manage to visit the frog pond once. I followed the pattern and knitted both sleeves till 23", started decreasing for the shoulders, and then joined to knit the turtleneck. When I just finished the sleeves, they were too long for my arms. Not wanting to rip them out, I decided folding the sleeve cuffs after all is done would simply fix the length problem. Soon after I started knitting the turtleneck, I realized I would run out of yarn. One of the worst things when a project sits too long in a stash - if there's not enough yarn, most of the time it's next to impossible to find extra in the same dye lot. I really did not need too much more, maybe just 1/4 of a ball would suffice. Given Kid Classic is quite pricey, I did not want to shell out money to buy another ball. I decided to rip it back to where the sleeves were about 21" long, then restarted with the shoulders and the turtleneck. I was afraid that the yarn wouldn't stand up to the unraveling since it contains mohair, but other than some BO stitches where it got stuck, ripping it out was fast and easy. And the yarn still feels the same. I really enjoyed knitting with it.