a caffeinated knitter who often knits furiously at midnight in a futile attempt to make a dent in her rapidly growing stash...
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Crochet Lacy Scarf (Joey群編2007年12月秀氣蕾絲圍巾)
Yarn: Lang Venezia Color (50% mohair 50% acrylic), color #0150 Blue/Purple Variegated - 2 balls (142yd [130m] / 50g) Pattern: Joey's Knitting House KAL Needles: Clover E 3.5 mm crochet hook Size: 7 3/4" wide x 41 1/2" long Duration: 2007/12/06 - 2007/12/08
線材: Lang Venezia Color (50% 毛海 50% 壓克力), 色號#0150 藍紫段染 - 2 球 (142yd [130m] / 50g) 圖樣: Joey編織の屋 96/12群編會活動-圈起來的愛 針號: 3.5 mm 鉤針 尺寸: 寬 20 cm, 長 105 cm 製作日期: 2007/12/06 - 2007/12/08
Finally, I was able to report this project as finished to the KAL in a timely fashion. For once. Both previous projects took me a while to complete, I was always near the bottom of the finish list. This project is quick and simple. It took me about 2 days (total of maybe about 6-7 hours). Crochet lace does work up much faster than knitting as far as the time it takes to cover the same surface area.
I love the lace design of this scarf. So delicate and pretty. 我很喜歡這條圍巾的蕾絲圖樣, 很細緻的感覺.
For this project, I decided to find something from my stash to work with since the yarn requirement isn't as strict (well, it is a scarf, I don't have to worry about gauge too much) and I don't need a whole lot of yarn. I picked these two balls of Lang Venezia Color, originally intended for the Reading-in-Bed Shrug but didn't work out. I have had a hard time trying to use up these two balls of yarn ever since, and this project seemed to be the right fit. However, this yarn is scratchy. Although I love the colors, I did not enjoy working with it. I couldn't even get it to feed smoothly from my left hand while I crochet, and I have never had this kind of problems with other yarns. It is a bit itchy too on my neck, maybe not the best choice for a scarf.
The original design of this scarf is very short, only 84 cm (33 inches) long. Trying to use up the yarn, I made the scarf a bit longer. It was difficult to gauge how much yarn I would need for the lace edging. Not wanting to have to unravel (this is mohair after all, I had a really hard time trying to unravel just two rows when I made a mistake), I decided to stop the main body lace after I had gone into only 1/3 of the 2nd ball, and started the lace edging. It turned out I didn't need that much yarn after all. When it was all done, I still have about 1/4 of a ball left, enough for another 4 inches of the main body lace. Oh well. Right now, the length isn't too bad, it is enough to wrap around my neck and tie a knot in front. Another few inches would have been nice, but this works too. And the good thing is, I used up another set of yarn from my stash, yeah!
I was also eyeing another design in this month's KAL - the white scarf with the spirals at the ends. Now this one is done, I am gonna try to see if I have suitable yarn in my stash to take on that project.