Pattern: At Glampyre Knits by Stefanie Japel
Needles: Addi Turbo US size 4 (3.5mm) / 24" (60cm) circular
Gauge: 31 sts = 4.5" and 32 rows = 4" over lace pattern
Start: October 8, 2006
Finish: October 28, 2006
Orangina is done. I stayed up Friday night till 4 AM to finish it and actually wore it all day yesterday. It's a little big, to my surprise. I tried it on before blocking, it was perfect. After I blocked it, now it's a little big. Too long, actually. Before blocking, it measured 16" wide and 19.5" long. After blocking, it measured 16.5" across the chest and 21" long.
These are the details and modifications I made to the pattern (for size XS - 34"):
- First of all, I could not get the 24 sts and 24 rows per 4" square gauge as suggested by the pattern. I made 3 gauge swatches - with US sizes 3, 4, and 5 needles, none matched the suggested gauge. I eventually decided on size 4, it would produce a 32" bust circumference which I felt is closer to my size. I also blocked my gauge swatches, really pull the lace apart and made sure I stretched it out. All the swatches shrank back to their pre-block size after I took them off the blocking board. So I thought, okay, this yarn has no give (it's 100% cotton after all). I shouldn't have to worry about any stretching. I guess I was wrong...
- Lace pattern - 15.5" long (120 rows) and ribbing - 4" long (32 rows). Armhole was 6 3/4" before blocking. And now it is 7 1/2" long.
- At the join of front and back panels, I did k2tog. The total number of stitches for the 3x3 ribbing is 204.
- Shoulder seams - I sewed up two scallops for each shoulder. It seems to look better.
- Make the lace pattern 14" long and the ribbing 4" long per pattern.
- Use US size 3 needles for the lace and size 2 needles for the ribbing.