a caffeinated knitter who often knits furiously at midnight in a futile attempt to make a dent in her rapidly growing stash...
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Reading-In-Bed Shrug - Variation
Yarn: Nashua June (100% microfiber), #NJUN003 Rose - 2 balls (120yd [110m] / 50g) Pattern: Interweave Knits Spring 2007 Staff Project (TKA Project #16) with Lace Substitution Needles: Addi Turbo US size 4 (3.5mm) for ribbing, Addi Turbo US sizes 6 (4mm) and 7 (4.5mm) for lace Size: 13 1/2" high at center back, 22" long from cuff to cuff Start: March 8, 2007 Finish: March 10, 2007
Although I love my baby-blue mohair Reading-In-Bed Shrug, after seeing Annie's and Margaret's shrugs, I decided to make a lighter version of it too so I will actually be able to wear it in the summer time. It's the same pattern. I picked a lighter yarn, and substituted with Traveling Vine lace pattern just to make the 2nd-time-knitting more interesting. I copied Margaret's method of shaping without actually having to increase or decrease stitches, to give it more length in the center back - the ribbing on the sleeves were worked using size 4 needles, then I worked three repeats of the lace pattern using size 6 needles for both ends, and then the center 5 repeats in the back were done in size 7 needles.
Because it's a finer yarn and I used smaller needles, two balls were barely enough for this one. I also purposely made this one a bit smaller, so it's more hugging on the shoulders. I was holding my breath as I worked toward the finish line, hoping I would have enough yarn. I really did not want to buy another ball just to finish it up.
I like the end-result, although I realized a cotton yarn would probably be a better choice here. Regardless, I think this one will get more wear than my mohair shrug.
這件織來還算可以啦, 覺得應該用棉線還是比較好. 不過這件穿的機會絕對比毛海那件多啦!
Addendum 補註 2007/03/21:
Traveling Vine Lace 攀藤蔓蕾絲 (Multiple of 8 sts + 4 ~ 8針目重複+4) Row 1 (RS) 第1段 (正面): K2, *yo, k1-b, yo, ssk, k5; repeat from *, end k2. Row 2: P6, *p2tog tbl, p7; repeat from *, end last repeat p5. Row 3: K2, *yo, k1-b, yo, k2, ssk, k3; repeat from *, end k2. Row 4: P4, *p2tog tbl, p7; repeat from *. Row 5: K2, *k1-b, yo, k4, ssk, k1, yo; repeat from *, end k2. Row 6: P3, *p2tog tbl, p7; repeat from *, end p1. Row 7: K2, *k5, k2tog, yo, k1-b, yo; repeat from *, end k2. Row 8: P5, *p2tog, p7; repeat from *, end last repeat p6. Row 9: K2, *k3, k2tog, k2, yo, k1-b, yo; repeat from *, end k2. Row 10: *P7, p2tog; repeat from *, end p4. Row 11: K2, *yo, k1, k2tog, k4, yo, k1-b; repeat from *, end k2. Row 12: P1, *p7, p2tog; repeat from *, end p3.
k1-b: knit 1 stitch through back loop p2tog tbl: purl 2 stitches together through back loop
Other Project Details:
Gauge 密度 - 20 sts = 4" (10 cm)
CO 65 sts. Follow the original pattern for ribbing, I did 9 rows to get to 1 1/2". Since this lace is even number of stitches, I increased 1 st at the last row of the ribbing of the first sleeve. The total number of stitches for the beginning of the lace is 66 sts. And of course, decreased 1 st at the first row for the second sleeve to return to 65.
I worked 3 garter sts on each side of the lace to prevent curling. In hindsight, it seemed unnecessary since the garter stitched edges just fold in when I wear it anyway. If you don't want to do the garter stitch edge, subtract 6 from the cast-on stitches (65 - 6 = 59 sts). Note that the garter stitch edges are not included in the lace pattern above!