Yarn: Lang Venezia Color (50% mohair 50% acrylic), color #0150 Blue/Purple Variegated - 2 balls (142yd [130m] / 50g) Pattern: Joey's Knitting House KAL Needles: Clover E 3.5 mm crochet hook Size: 7 3/4" wide x 41 1/2" long Duration: 2007/12/06 - 2007/12/08
線材: Lang Venezia Color (50% 毛海 50% 壓克力), 色號#0150 藍紫段染 - 2 球 (142yd [130m] / 50g) 圖樣: Joey編織の屋 96/12群編會活動-圈起來的愛 針號: 3.5 mm 鉤針 尺寸: 寬 20 cm, 長 105 cm 製作日期: 2007/12/06 - 2007/12/08
Finally, I was able to report this project as finished to the KAL in a timely fashion. For once. Both previous projects took me a while to complete, I was always near the bottom of the finish list. This project is quick and simple. It took me about 2 days (total of maybe about 6-7 hours). Crochet lace does work up much faster than knitting as far as the time it takes to cover the same surface area.
I love the lace design of this scarf. So delicate and pretty. 我很喜歡這條圍巾的蕾絲圖樣, 很細緻的感覺.
For this project, I decided to find something from my stash to work with since the yarn requirement isn't as strict (well, it is a scarf, I don't have to worry about gauge too much) and I don't need a whole lot of yarn. I picked these two balls of Lang Venezia Color, originally intended for the Reading-in-Bed Shrug but didn't work out. I have had a hard time trying to use up these two balls of yarn ever since, and this project seemed to be the right fit. However, this yarn is scratchy. Although I love the colors, I did not enjoy working with it. I couldn't even get it to feed smoothly from my left hand while I crochet, and I have never had this kind of problems with other yarns. It is a bit itchy too on my neck, maybe not the best choice for a scarf.
The original design of this scarf is very short, only 84 cm (33 inches) long. Trying to use up the yarn, I made the scarf a bit longer. It was difficult to gauge how much yarn I would need for the lace edging. Not wanting to have to unravel (this is mohair after all, I had a really hard time trying to unravel just two rows when I made a mistake), I decided to stop the main body lace after I had gone into only 1/3 of the 2nd ball, and started the lace edging. It turned out I didn't need that much yarn after all. When it was all done, I still have about 1/4 of a ball left, enough for another 4 inches of the main body lace. Oh well. Right now, the length isn't too bad, it is enough to wrap around my neck and tie a knot in front. Another few inches would have been nice, but this works too. And the good thing is, I used up another set of yarn from my stash, yeah!
I was also eyeing another design in this month's KAL - the white scarf with the spirals at the ends. Now this one is done, I am gonna try to see if I have suitable yarn in my stash to take on that project.
I had wanted to make this shrug for at least more than a year now. I bought the yarn from way back and just somehow forgot about it. Until recently when I was going through my stash, I rediscovered this project. I felt a bit guilty about it. I have been buying a lot of new pattern books and new yarn, while I have tons of projects waiting to be casted on in my stash. I made a promise that when and if I start a project with new yarn, I must also finish one of the older projects from my stash. I used to keep track of my projects in an Excel spreadsheet, but it got so big and cumbersome that I just gave up. I thought, I'll just knit whatever comes to mind. But this, could also be dangerous, I may never finish knitting my stash.
The design of this shrug/scarf is very unique, but knitting it could be quite boring. The never-ending repeats of k3 and p3. I was just about running out of patience when I finished both sleeves. Good thing I got other projects on the needles to keep me going. Whenever I felt like I've had enough with this thing, I just switched to another project and then came back to this shrug later. But when I finished the Upside-Down Sweater and was waiting for it to dry on the blocking board (which took 4 days!) I had nothing else to play with except this, I had to try to stay focused to finish it.
This shrug is very simple to knit. Even though it was simple, I did manage to visit the frog pond once. I followed the pattern and knitted both sleeves till 23", started decreasing for the shoulders, and then joined to knit the turtleneck. When I just finished the sleeves, they were too long for my arms. Not wanting to rip them out, I decided folding the sleeve cuffs after all is done would simply fix the length problem. Soon after I started knitting the turtleneck, I realized I would run out of yarn. One of the worst things when a project sits too long in a stash - if there's not enough yarn, most of the time it's next to impossible to find extra in the same dye lot. I really did not need too much more, maybe just 1/4 of a ball would suffice. Given Kid Classic is quite pricey, I did not want to shell out money to buy another ball. I decided to rip it back to where the sleeves were about 21" long, then restarted with the shoulders and the turtleneck. I was afraid that the yarn wouldn't stand up to the unraveling since it contains mohair, but other than some BO stitches where it got stuck, ripping it out was fast and easy. And the yarn still feels the same. I really enjoyed knitting with it.